2021 NAPPN Award Opportunities
✭ Early Career Award
The 3rd annual NAPPN Plant Phenotyping Early Career Award will recognize an early career scientist (<10 years post Ph.D.) who is making important contributions to plant phenotyping in areas of data analytics, engineering, modeling, physiology, plant breeding, plant sciences, remote sensing, or allied related disciplines.
We seek to highlight leaders in novel research, increasing the visibility of plant phenotyping (peer reviewed publications, presentations, social media, popular press, service), supporting research between public and private sectors, developing (or following) data standard best management practices, and/or transdisciplinary engagement, consistent with NAPPN's mission.
Criteria: The nominee must have obtained their PhD within the last 10 years (after January, 1st, 2011)
|Early Career Award Recipients|
|2019||Dr. James Schnable - announcement|
|2020||Dr. Alexander Bucksch - announcement|
✭ Graduate Student Award
The 1st NAPPN Plant Phenotyping Graduate Student Award will recognize a graduate student (M.Sc. or Ph.D. within the last year) who is making important contributions to plant phenotyping in areas of data analytics, engineering, modeling, physiology, plant breeding, plant sciences, remote sensing, or allied related disciplines.
We seek to highlight potential leaders in novel research, increasing the visibility of plant phenotyping (peer reviewed publications, presentations, social media, popular press, service), supporting research between public and private sectors, developing (or following) data standard best management practices, and/or transdisciplinary engagement, consistent with NAPPN's mission.
Criteria: The nominee must be currently enrolled in a graduate program or have graduated with a M.Sc. or Ph.D. within the last year (after January, 1st, 2020).
|Graduate Student Award Recipients|
Application guidelines for both awards:
☞ Nominations for candidates from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: January 20, 2021 (5:00pm Pacific time)
NOMINATION PACKAGE: (Submitted as a single PDF file, <99Mb)
(minimum requirements listed below, 2-page limit, standard formatting)
- Contact information of nominator and nominee
- Relationship of nominator to nominee
- Nominee's overall professional accomplishments and current activities
- How nominees activities support plant phenotyping
- How nominees activities contribute to the mission of NAPPN
Nominee's curriculum vitae / resume / biosketch
(minimum requirements listed below, 2-page limit and up to 2 additional pages of publications with standard formatting)
- Name, title, employer, work address
- Social media account information (only if relevant to increasing visibility, with brief explanation) / website URL
- Professional preparation: degrees, institutions, and dates
- Significant professional history: Job titles, employers, places, and dates
- Significant publications: Include all relevant refereed and non-refereed
- Significant service work / synergistic activities / broader impacts
- Significant grants, awards and honors
- Patents, intellectual property
Letters of support
- Each nomination should include 2-3 signed letters of support submitted as PDF files, 1-2 pages each.
- Each letter should highlight activities that support aspects of the mission of NAPPN.
- Each letter should include the author's email address and telephone number.
Notifications will occur in late January/early February. Award recipient will be recognized at the NAPPN Community Session at 2021 NAPPN Annual Meeting and will be asked to present at the 2022 Annual Conference.
After being notified of award selection, the award recipient should submit the following for use at the 2021 NAPPN Annual Meeting, for press releases and announcements.
- Professional sketch: 200-300 words about institutional affiliation and scope of previous and ongoing research (suitable for use in announcements)
- Digital images of Awardee: Two non-copyrighted, high-resolution digital images of the nominee in a common image format (e.g., jpg, tiff, png), including:
[a] professional posed image and
[b] action photo showing the awardee in their work.
- If the Award winner is not a member of NAPPN, they are encouraged to join.
SUBMIT NOMINATION PACKAGE AS A SINGLE PDF:
If acknowledgement of receipt is not received by January 23th, please email or call Andrew Leakey; Email: email@example.com; Phone: +1 (217)244-0302
SELECTION TEAM: The NAPPN executive committee, representing diverse aspects of plant phenotyping, will rank all applicants. In the event of a tie, the current NAPPN Chair's vote counts double.